Kirktown of New Deer
- KIRKTOWN of NEW DEER, a village, within the parish of New Deer, district of Buchan, county of Aberdeen, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Cuminestown; containing 322 inhabitants. It is situated on the ridge of a hill, upon the high road from Ellon to Newbyth, and consists of a long street of above a hundred houses and cottages, the fields declining to the east and west: the population is almost wholly agricultural. There are a sub-post office, and two or three good inns in the village; and fairs are held in it in April, May, June, October, and November, at all which cattle and horses are exposed for sale. The mail-coach from Banff to Peterhead passes daily, and a stage-coach three times a week from Aberdeen to Ellon. The church stands near the village, where are also the parochial school and a circulating library.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Deer, New — DEER, NEW, a parish, in the district of Deer, county of Aberdeen, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Cuminestown; containing, with the village of Kirktown of New Deer, 3756 inhabitants. This parish originally formed a part of Old Deer, and was separated… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Aberdeen — ABERDEEN, a city, and sea port town, the seat of a university, the capital of the county of Aberdeen, and the metropolis of the North of Scotland, 109 miles (N. N. E.) from Edinburgh, and 425 (N. by W.) from London; containing, with parts of… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland